Re: XFree86 4.0.1 works!

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:42:44AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 04:31:33PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> > Today, got it configured.  Had a problem with the mouse, patch attached.
> > This causes the mouse to be opened RO instead of RW (-allowMouseOpenFail
> > no longer needed).
>
> No, the patch is only good as a quick work around, but should not go into X.
> The real solution is to fix /dev/mouse to allow open with O_WRITE, and
> this is what I did (but I did not upload the new Hurd package yet).

OK.  At least I can make headway until you upload the new hurd.  (Why in
the world would anyone need to write to the mouse?  I guess that's why
it's called a mouse "protocol".  Hmph.)

> The reason is that this file is shared, and we don't know if some other
> user of OpenTerminal needs to write to it. So it's better not to touch
> this code at all.
>
> I will upload a new Hurd package with an updated mouse server soon.
>
> > There are still problems with opening the mouse and keyboard.
> > Apparently it's a timing problem.  Prestarting the translators seems
> > to provide a reliable workaround (OK, it's a hack, but it works);
> > "ls -l /dev/{mouse,kbd}" will suffice to prestart them.

As I mentioned in another message, the kbd seems behave better doing
this and the mouse seems not to need it.

> Yes, I see the same. Glad to see that it works as good (or bad :) on your
> machine as on my. Thanks a lot for testing this.

No problem :-)
Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)