Re: XFree86 4.0.1 works!

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 04:31:33PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> Today, got it configured.  Had a problem with the mouse, patch attached.
> This causes the mouse to be opened RO instead of RW (-allowMouseOpenFail
> no longer needed).

No, the patch is only good as a quick work around, but should not go into X.
The real solution is to fix /dev/mouse to allow open with O_WRITE, and
this is what I did (but I did not upload the new Hurd package yet).

The reason is that this file is shared, and we don't know if some other
user of OpenTerminal needs to write to it. So it's better not to touch
this code at all.

I will upload a new Hurd package with an updated mouse server soon.

> There are still problems with opening the mouse and keyboard.
> Apparently it's a timing problem.  Prestarting the translators seems
> to provide a reliable workaround (OK, it's a hack, but it works);
> "ls -l /dev/{mouse,kbd}" will suffice to prestart them.

Yes, I see the same. Glad to see that it works as good (or bad :) on your
machine as on my. Thanks a lot for testing this.