Re: Plans for X

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 08:54:18PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> planning to rework your patches for 4.x,

Ok, I looked into it, and it doesn't seem to hard. There are all old issues,
so the 3.3.6 patch is very applicable (unfortunately nobody took the time to
find out, and simply rejected it outright), but there are a couple of new
issues.

The current[1] status is: Everything compiles, except xload, but that's easy to
make work (I have a similar patch for exim somewhere). But the resulting
binary doesn't run properly: There are some socket problems (starting twice
won't work, you have to reboot. X believes another server is running), and
the keyboard handling doesn't work (it gets interrupted system call).

Anyway, as I said, those are attackable. Especially as I got it to compile.

I will follow up with real patches. If somebody has the guts to help out, I
can make preliminary patches available soon, but only if you really want to
debug things. Otherwise just wait for the packages to become available and
stick with XFree 3.3.6 for now.

[1] Extensive patch by me.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de