Re: ssh success

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 07:30:51PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> openssl is needed. Compiling this was not much of a problem. "apt-get
> source", pray it won't crash (see last mail), fix one invocation of
> "dpkg --print-architecture" in the debian/rules, copy the build-flags
> for debian-i386 to a new debian-hurd-i386 entry in "Configure", with
> the only difference being that -DTERMIOS replaces -DTERMIO. Build and
> install.

I compiled openssh and friends a while ago, but never cleaned up my patches
to make them suitable for upstream. If you want to do that, that would be
great.

> libwrap0-dev is needed. It exists, but installing raises a problem:
>
> dpkg: regarding .../libwrap0-dev_7.6-5_hurd-i386.deb containing libwrap0-dev:
>  libwrap0-dev conflicts with netbase (<< 3.16-1)
>   inetutils provides netbase and is installed.
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libwrap0-dev_7.6-5_hurd-i386.deb (--install):
>  conflicting packages - not installing libwrap0-dev
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/libwrap0-dev_7.6-5_hurd-i386.deb

That's the same bug in dpkg as appears with shellutils and util-linux (or
was it bsdutils?) This will be fixed eventually, for now force it.

> Hmm, a versioned conflict matching an unversioned provides.
> My Debian/Linux doesn't seem to have this problem. I did
> --force-conflicts.

That's because we use a version from CVS, which is unstable but has hurd
support.

> openssh itself needed several kludges: I replaced MAXHOSTNAME in a
> couple of files with a "enough for everyone" value. Evil, but at the
> time I lacked the docs to do it right.

Well, this needs to be fixed with realloc() and a loop.

> The build process does not support not building the gnome password
> requestor, so I had to fudge that. Of course, the resulting
> ssh-askpass-gnome deb will be broken ...

There are gnome-libs packages available, please try if this works.

> While building/installing, the new ssh was called and wanted an
> already installed /etc/ssh/ssh_prng_conf. I satisfied that by
> prematurely copying the file over. I /think/ it just wants that to
> generate a new hostkey in "make install", which is completely useless
> anyway, so one could probably just prevent that.
>
> The aforementioned /etc/ssh/ssh_prng_conf is a new conffile, so I
> declared is as such. (It is not needed in the linux build, as linux
> has /dev/random.)

We can and should have /dev/random, too...

> pam is not used, so I took out the libpam-modules dependency.

That's good. You need to conditionalize debian/control in debian/rules
on the value of

DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM = `dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM`

> I will start nagging the maintainers to include my changes, once I
> have evolved them from bad kludges to proper hacks.

That's good. Let us know if you get stuck somewhere.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de