Re: Network hardware types

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 04:18:18PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjw44@flatline.org.uk> wrote:
> >In order to get networking working on the Hurd, I need a DHCP client
> >(I've got a cable modem), so I've been having a look at porting the one
> >I use on Linux, dhcp-client.

The linux header files won't work: The interface to get the info on network
interfaces doesn't exist in the Hurd. The only thing you can do is look at
the output of "fsysopts /servers/socket/2". I might implement some of the
simpler conventional network interfaces, but the ioctl layer needs to be
adjusted, which is in glibc, so it is not a pfinet only thing.

> Hmm. I've just noticed hurd-20000921/trans/pump.c, which is probably a
> much better place to start, but the Makefile doesn't seem to build it.
> Is it broken? Can I help to test it?

It's probably not functional. Thomas posted it as an example to how such a
translator can be written. Only Thomas knows how complete it is, but you can
try adding it to the Makefile (you'd need to make some guesses for the libs
it needs, but you should be able to figure that out from other examples).

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de