Re: mach's eatadma driver hangs on my box

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 11:55:28PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> FYI:
>
> A gnumach kernel built with --enable-eatadma (turned on in debian/rules
> per default) will invariably hang the boot process on my machine.
> Removing all cards short of the graphic card (Voodoo3) did not help.
> Disabling the driver worked.
>
> The motherboard is an FIC SD11 w/Athlon.
>
> You may consider disabling the driver per default.

There seem to be a few driver conflicts in the default build.  IMHO,
the best thing is to build your own rather than start disabling things
since someone else may need it to get started.

> BTW, is there a way to build the gnumach package under linux? Since
> the canned kernel did not work, I had to put the hurd on another
> machine first just to compile mach.

I'm a relative newcomer to hurd, but there was a lot of list traffic
on this topic a month ago or so.  from what I gathered, most ppl are
building gnumach on linux.  For example, here's the command I use:

#  NOTE: ../configure is because I build in a subdir....
MIG=i386-gnu-mig CC=i386-gnu-gcc ../configure \
    --prefix=/gnu \
    --enable-com \
    --enable-floppy \
    --enable-ide \
    --enable-kmsg \
    --enable-lpr \
    --enable-viarhine \
    i386-pc-gnu

Some notes:

I believe --enable-com is redundant since it's on by default;
--enable-viarhine is for my network card, add/delete enables as needed for
your hardware; --prefix=/gnu assumes you've mounted your hurd partition
there before you install - season to taste.

I had to build a trimmed kernel because viarhine is conflicting with some
other driver I haven't identified yet.  With a "mostly-off" configuration,
things work fine - a way to address your driver conflicts....

You need the following packages installed to cross-compile gnumach on
linux: gcc-i386-gnu, mig-i386-gnu, dpkg-cross.

One final note, although I still build linux with gcc272, I've had no
problems building gnumach using gcc 2.95.2 or running a kernel so built.

Good luck!
Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)