Re: Debian Hurd CDs

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Attila Nagy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've made the Debian Hurd CDs online, provided by Philip Charles of
> Copyleft, NZ.
>
> There are two CDs, the first includes the system, the second contains
> non-US packages.
>
> Filenames:
> 4893e2ea9e9c09b17460d273a6a788cf  hurd-B1.iso
> df5e962283a5fcca1c0e9bb85e7673fd  hurd-B1nU.iso
>
> You can download the CDs from:
>
> ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial
> http://ftp.fsn.hu/ftp/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial
> rsync://ftp.fsn.hu/cdimages/debian-unofficial
>
> If you have any questions about the CD please direct them to Philip, he
> can be reached at:
> philipc@copyleft.co.nz

The CDs are based on the 2.2.16 disks-i386.  This means that in theory
Hurd can be installed on any system that will accept a potato
installation, whether Hurd will run on all these systems is another issue.
All the rescue, root and base floppy images have been built to install
Hurd.

Please understand that what expertise I have is in the area of
installation CDs and I am not a Hurd hacker.  However, I have identified
some issues that will need to be addressed.

1.  More documentation is needed which would be useful on a Hurd
	installation CD.
2.  At the moment dselect falls over when attempting an install from the
	CD.  dpkg can be used, but I have not tried apt.
3.  More work needs to be done on the main installation menu.
4.  The "purity" issue of creating a Hurd ram-disk, rather that a Linux
	one, is a project that needs to be picked up in the future.

I intend to make the source available once it is safe and is more
presentable.  It has messed up my mirror on a couple of occasions and is
one of the ugliest examples of code butchering about.

New tarballs and grub versions can be dropped in build process easily as
can .deb filesystems.

I am interested in feedback about the CDs, but please direct Hurd related
questions to the appropriate list.  Would people please keep me informed
about what should be included and what alterations are needed.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818