Re: installing HURD debs from Linux?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 06:24:56PM -0500, Daniel E . Baumann wrote:
> Well after I changes my sources.list to point at alpha.gnu.org along with a
> debian mirror bsdutils now wants to be upgraded. I can select gcc and download
> the debs using aptitude and it wants to upgrade bsdutils, dpkg, and gnumach.
> It however will not install them (I figure it wouldn't). Is there some way
> that could get aptitude (apt still bitches about the sysvinit dependency not
> bening met) to call dpkg with --root=/gnu and get it to cross install?

You'd have to use dpkg-cross, as the preinst, postinst can't be run (the Hurd
binaries don't run in a linux system).

But even dpkg-cross doesn't run the pre and post install scripts (it can't),
so you may lack some tweaks or config settings.

> I'm
> gonna do some digging and see if I can come up with a solution, but if anyone
> has any idea I'd appreciate it.

Install using the Hurd. Do you only want to have a Hurd installation, or
actually use it? :)

> BTW, how are you guys getting apt to work
> under the HURD if there are all these unmet dependencies?

The dependencies have to be tweaked. With alpha.gnu.org stuff, my hurd
standard set was happy, but the dpkg shellutils/login stuff broke it.