Re: installing HURD debs from Linux?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:20:24PM -0500, Daniel E. Baumann wrote:
> > You need something like,
> >
> > /var/local/apt-hurd $ cat apt.conf
> > APT
> >  {
> >    /* This is not necessary if the two machines are the same arch, it tells
> >       the remote APT what architecture the Debian machine is */
> >    Architecture "hurd-i386";
> >
> >    Get::Download-Only "true";

Need this (if it works OK).

> >  };
> >
> > Dir
> >  {
> >    /* Use the disc for state information and redirect the status file from
> >       the /var/lib/dpkg default */
> >    State "/var/local/apt-hurd/";
> >    State::status "status";
> >    State::avaiable "available";
> >    State::lists "/var/local/apt-hurd/lists/";
> >    Aptitude::State "/var/local/apt-hurd";
> >

> >    // Binary caches will be stored localy
> >    Cache "/var/local/apt-hurd/";
> >    Cache::archives "/var/local/apt-hurd/archives/";
> >
> >    // Location of the source list.
> >    Etc "/var/local/apt-hurd/";

Or point some of these to /gnu/var/.... if you like.  If your linux
partition is too large to access from hurd, then you'll at least want
archives to be in your hurd partition.  That's where to look for the
packages when you use dpkg by hand (see below).

> >  };
>
> This seems to work using straight apt, but I get this when trying to get
> gcc for the HURD.
>
> obfuscation:/home/baumannd# export APT_CONFIG=/var/local/apt-hurd/apt.conf
> obfuscation:/home/baumannd# apt-get install gcc

Don't do this.  You want to download only from linux then install
natively.

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   bsdutils: Depends: sysvinit (>= 2.59-2) but it is not installable
>   gcc: Depends: cpp (>= 1:2.95.2-10) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: cpp (< 1:2.95.3) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: binutils (>= 2.9.5.0.12) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
>
> where's sysvinit? (I know you have been talking about different sysvinit
> methods) and how do I get around this, do I just force things?

Once you get the packages downloaded using linux, then boot hurd and
use dpkg --force-conflicts to manually install packages as needed.
Dselect's conflict resolution screens are useful to help determine which
conflicts to override - I don't recall which at the moment.  Once the
conflicting packages are installed OK, the rest drop in nicely.  IIRC,
only two or three packages have to be installed this way.

HTH,
Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)