Re: First Boot

jc schrieb:
> --- Pankaj Kaushal <apenguinhead@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How my IDE drives look:
>  ide 0: Master, Dedicated Harddrive housing Linux
>  ide 0: Slave,  CD-ROM
>  ide 1: Master, CD-RW
>  ide 1: Slave,  Dedicated Harddrive for Hurd

The hurd disk is (hd1) for GRUB and hd4 for MACH.

> So I reboot.
>
> I figured out the disk/partition numbering and I am
> quite sure that I am trying to mount the correct
> device.

Well, seems, you got it wrong ... ;)

> GRUB comes up fine. I do:
> root=(hd1,0)     // It seems that it just ignores
> CDrom

This one is right.

> //   This returned no error, says it found the ex2fs
> kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s1 -s

This one is wrong, it should read:

kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd4s1 -s

> // This works too, said something about ELF code
> module=/boot/serverboot.gz
> // no error after this line, I'm excited.
> boot              // The system reboots.
>

> Now I am at a loss..... But I am going to try to use
> the big tarball method right now. Sniff.

It isn't the install method, try using the right device names.

Hey, I installed the HURD yesterday on a similar setup for the
first time. The install worked, but dselect blew my system, so
today is reinstall time! ;)

go HURD, go!

ciao, 2ri
--
"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet! I'm afraid of grounds!"
"You mean heights, and stop being silly!"