Re: First Boot

--- Pankaj Kaushal <apenguinhead@yahoo.com> wrote:
> jc wrote:
> >
> > ie. root=(hd1,0), kernel=blahblahblah
>
> well to get help please decode the blah blah blah
> for
> us humans.

Pankaj!

I can see how that might be impossible to interpolate.
I'll list everything I can think of:

-My system is Debian-GNU/Linux 2.2.17, woody
-I am trying to use the many debs method
-mke2fs -v   1.19
-fdisk v2.10o
-GRUB 0.5.95 and 0.5.96

How my IDE drives look:
 ide 0: Master, Dedicated Harddrive housing Linux
 ide 0: Slave,  CD-ROM
 ide 1: Master, CD-RW
 ide 1: Slave,  Dedicated Harddrive for Hurd

Removed everything from the device, fdisk, added one
partition, +800M, I did -not- make it bootable(this
last time) The partition type is 83.

I do:
> mke2fs -O sparse_super -o hurd /dev/hdd1

I already downloaded all the debian packages...

I made the GRUB bootloader, well I have two different
version, but 0.5.95 seemed to work beter.
> dd if=grub-boot-0.5.95.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=512

I mount:
> mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt

I cross-install:
> ./cross-install /mnt

So I reboot.

I figured out the disk/partition numbering and I am
quite sure that I am trying to mount the correct
device.

GRUB comes up fine. I do:
root=(hd1,0)     // It seems that it just ignores
CDrom
//   This returned no error, says it found the ex2fs
kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s1 -s
// This works too, said something about ELF code
module=/boot/serverboot.gz
// no error after this line, I'm excited.
boot              // The system reboots.

Now I am at a loss..... But I am going to try to use
the big tarball method right now. Sniff.

-Jeremy

PS: I am very sorry if I offended anyone with my
previous email. My joke was too much.