Re: some question

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 05:35:53PM +0900, vergence wrote:
> what is gnumach and hurd.
> I'd like to know the difference.

GNUmach is the 'kernel' that handles interaction between software and
the low-level devices and functionality of your computer.  The Hurd
sits on top of GNUmach.

The Hurd is the set of services available to a user or application
programmer.  You need both pieces.

> I downloaded "gnumach-19981118.tar.gz".
> To compile gnumach, I typed ./configure.
> and err message was ...
> the os is not gnu/linux ...
> How can I solve this problem?

You need to cross-compile GNUmach.  If you have a debian GNU/Linux
system, you can install the cross compiling utilities to do so.
Then you must type:  "./configure --build=i586-pc --host=i386-gnu"
so that 'configure' will know to use the cross-compiler tools.

Regards,

-Brent