RE: Trying to compile

> The first victim was tree, that vital component of every
> system; I got the src deb, made a dpkg-source -x ***.dsc
> (I had the diff and the tar.gz) and it expanded nicely;
> I then made a simple configure && make; there were
> issued with MAXPATHLEN - I red about that in the Debian
> GNU/Hurd page; seing this, I made such a brutish hack that
> I won't even sy it in public; anyway, ir compiled and it worked.

Great.  I think Neal may have come up with a more permanent
solution, but perhaps this was just for one package.

> After that I had a go with epic, same process, same
> MAXPATHLEN error, same brutish hack, but this time it gave
> a linker error, apparently all the function in term.o that
> are supported by a term lib (neither termcap or
> terminfo were detected during configure) fail to link.

It sounds like you don't have development libraries installed
for these packages.

In Debian we often break packages down into a package of
binary-independent stuff (documentation, scripts, etc.) that
can be used on any architecture, a binary runtime package
(the main libraries needed by users of the software), and
a development package that includes the header files and
static libraries used by developers.

It sounds like you are missing the development pieces of
termcap/terminfo.  Check the "devel" directory at ftp.debian.org
under the Hurd and see if you find what you need.

Thanks,

-Brent