RE: Report on X

> > (2) I tried to make a few debs from source.  Here is what happened.
> >
> > 	(a) I wanted to compile numeric python and started to compile
> > 	the python-llnl package (which originally was the source).  I
> > 	had installed the relevant python packages.  I found that,
> > 	the python-dev package doesnt ship with all the header
> > 	files.   My linux install has 69 files in
> > 	/usr/include/python1.5/	 but hurd had 63.  I simply copied
> > 	the missing ones from linux and it worked.
>
> You should list the missing files. Maybe they are about
> features the hurd doesn't have.
>
> Usually, such one time hacks are terrible wrong, and don't
> bring us further.  In the ideal case, you should get the python
> source, build it, ands ee why it doesn't include those headers.
> Yes, I know it takes more time. What do you think I am doing two
> years long? The advantage is that your work isn't lost, but a
> real contribution.

I built the original Python packages on the Hurd.  This was an early
Python 1.5 series, so things may have changed compared to the 1.5.2
found in Debian GNU/Linux.  There were no special hacks required to
build Python, assuming a 'current' autoconf/autogen macro set is
installed.

> > 	(b) While compiling python-numeric.  I found that a lot of
> > 	important modules were not present in hurd.  glob and shutil
> > 	come to mind.
> >
> > 	$ ls -la /gnu/usr/lib/python1.5/ | wc -l
> > 	190
> > 	$ ls -la /usr/lib/python1.5/ | wc -l
> > 	424
> > 	$
>
> I am not a python guy, and nobody else bother to build and
> upload them.  Maybe at some day the autobuilder will catch
> up on them, but otherwise you need to find some interested
> maintainer or build them yourself.

Again, I built the core Python pieces, and stopped there.  This was
during the zero-hole-bug period, so it was much more frustrating
to get things accomplished.  I just never got around to building
the other pieces, and I tend to use Perl more often now, so it
never got high enough on my list.  Sorry!

Thanks,

-Brent