RE: Some initial problems to solve...

> > > but no mail (prolly have to tweak with exim, I never did get it to
> > > work even on GNU/Linux since it insists on checking every
> > > damn host for a domain name and since I have private IP and domain
> > > names && my ISP doesn't has reverse DNS I can only have one IP), but
> > > here are some initial things that I want to fix:
> > >

> > Note:  Check the configuration settings for exim -- you can turn
> > this behavior off.
>

> Well, it's prolly right under my nose but I really dont see how... I
> actually had to install sendmail instead of exim in GNU/Linux to make
> it work.

If you have sendmail working, don't bother with exim (I guess).

However, exim has some setup files in /etc/exim (or /etc/mail -- I'm
not at my system today).  One of the configuration files has a line
in it that handles the reverse DNS stuff.  If you read through the
setup file in /etc/exim you can find it.  Just comment the line out
and you will be fine.

> I set up my gaetway has the smarthost with a rewrite rule to make my
> address change from the LAN domain name to my mail name... I tried
> sending it directly but still no luck.

That should be fine.

> In the Hurd I fire up exim manually with exim -bd -q1m& and still no
> luck, with or without smarthost, nothing get's delivered,
> only local mail.

Okay -- I'll try to play with it and let you know.

> > > - Several Debian packages are broken, i.e. they depend on
> > >   packages not available... where can I get them? For instace,
> > >   lynx doesn't install with dselect because, er, something
> > >   doesn't exist (gain, more detaisl tomorrow, it's 4:15AM here,
> > >   I'm really trying to still get 4 hours sleep).
> > >
> > Yikes!  Don't burn out!
>
> Oh well, I'm young :)

Lynx won't install because it wants debconf.  Debconf is a utility
under Linux that automates/simplifies some aspects of installation.

Marcus, any work being done on Debconf?  Or should I have a look
at it and see if we can build it?

> No, from the debs... about that, if I install something from a tarball
> does it appear in dselect? Prolly not...

Yes -- installing from the tarball (and running native-install) will
insure that they show up in dselect.  So I suspect you are fine.

Thanks,

-Brent