Re: Some initial problems to solve...

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 02:43:51PM +0000, Frederico S. Muñoz wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 04:19:24AM +0000, Frederico S. Muñoz wrote:
> > > - I *really* need portuguese keyboard support;
> >
> > Check ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/keymap.tar.gz (or
> > similar), and check if it works for you (you will have to define your own
> > keymap file, but it is similar to linux). Oh, and we can't change the font,
> > so you won't get any umlauts or special chars correctly.
>
> Thank you, that helped! I changed the mappings and now I can at least
> write the &/())= correctly (BTW, the german layout is the same as the
> portuguese, altgr for {[]} and all).

Great. Send in a portugese map file if you want.

> About accentuation: I don't need accentuation by this time, but does
> the font understand particular characters like ç? Prolly not, but if
> it is ISO-whatever-1 it should. Anyway, I'll have it ready by tomorrow
> - still some tweakking to do with the 2 post-0 keys, if it works ok
> maybe you could include it in the package...

As I said, font changing is not supported, and the mapping is not iso but
ibm vga, sorry.

We will tackle this later. Currently, I am preparing X packages (they are
ready, just need to upload them tomorrow), and in X we have all sort of
fonts, of course.

> > > - The network settrans -fg ..... works ok, but doesn't stay up across
> > >   reboots... since it's not defined as active shouldn't he stay?
> >
> > Yes. Are you sure it doesn't stay? What does showtrans /servers/socket/2 say
> > after reboot? It only comes up if there is a connection request, and with
> > the first request there might be a delay, but otherwise it is fine.
> >

> Ahh, it does stay up, /servers/socket/2 says /hurd/pfinet
> --interface=eth0 --address=192.168.1.2 --gateway=192.168.1.1
> --netmask=255.255.255.0 ... but when I ping it freezes... I have I have
> to  ^C.

Well, this looks good. You will have to do further debugging to get more
information on where and why it hangs (probably compile hurd with debugging
info and run gdb on pfinet). But maybe wait for glibc 2.2, which has some
relevant changes, I think.

> > > - I can't mount the linux partition (settrans -fg /linux /hurd/ext2fs
> > >   /dev/hd0s2), it computes ok but when I try to access it it either
> > >   freezes or says something akeen to the >1GB error (more info on that
> > >   one tomorrow, I really don't recall the exact error)
> >
> > How big is the linux partition?
>

> Around 9GB

That's much too big. There is currently a limit at 1 GB or so. The Hurd
can't handle such big partitions. (It will later, though).