Re: XFree86 3.3.6-10

Am Son, 24 Sep 2000 20:18:47 schrieb Prabhu Ramachandran:
> hi,

>     Marcus> Hi, I uploaded X packages to alpha.gnu.org. Follow the
>     Marcus> instructions, and you will soon get a nice and shiny X on
>     Marcus> the Hurd.
>
> 	Wow!  This is great news!  Marcus, live long and prosper!! :) I
> have a few questions.
>
> (1) Does hurd support PS/2 mice?  The hardware compatibility guide
> said that it doesnt.  Will X on hurd work with a ps/2 mouse?

I would like to have an answer on this question from someone
who has a PS/2 mouse, but Yasushi says yes. That's why I posted
the link to his web site, where he has a table of several
mice and translator setting combinations.

So if you have a PS/2 mouse, it would be great if you could make some
tests. You probably don't need to get X for that: Get the latest Hurd,
set up /dev/mouse following the instructions on Yasushis site, and
see if "cat /dev/mouse" and moving the mouse returns some garbage.
(If PS/2 mice don't require some mode switch as the keyboard, this
will work).

(2) and (3) were answered by Neal.

> (4) Now that X runs successfully, will OpenGL compile under the hurd?

I don't know what OpenGL is, so I can't tell. I only know that it has something
to do with graphics. If it needs direct access to the card,
you'd have to port the mach code from X (if OpenGL already supports Mach,
than it should be fairly straightforward). If it only uses X and other
library interfaces, then it should be rather straight.

> Do you anticipate any problems??

I always do, and I am always positively surprised when it works well.

> If it will compile I can see if vtk
> compiles on it.  I make debs for vtk and it is a massive build!

Great! Let us know about it.

> (5) Do you folks have plans for X4?

My personal plan is to shut my eyes until I recovered from the 3.3 work
at least :)

> No, I am not getting greedy but
> just curious.  Someone said that it might be easier to port X4 to hurd
> than 3.3.x.  Now that 3.3.6 is done would it make porting X4 to the
> hurd trivial??

Seriously, I don't think it is harder or easier. It's just different.
I do think that the working 3.3.6 will help, because you have actually
something to stare at if you have problems. But I don't know what and
how much has changed in X 4.0, and I always expect unexpected problems.
(Not the problems themselve, but their existence).

Anyway, let's get some experience with 3.3.6 now first :)
I have the 4.0 source code at home on CD, and will take a look at it.
If I get a heart attack, I will scream loud enough for everyone to hear ;)