Re: XFree86 3.3.6-10

hi,

    Neal> oskit-mach was started by Roland about a year ago.  He took
    Neal> oskit, a project at the University of Utah which attempts to
    Neal> make building operating systems easier by providing a
    Neal> collection of independent components to abstract the
    Neal> hardware, and ripped the ``Mach'' code out of gnumach and
    Neal> stuck them together.  The University of Utah has nothing to
    Neal> do with oskit-mach.

	thanks for the clarifications.

<snip>
    Neal> About as difficult as creating the ext2fs translator.  Take
    Neal> a look at that code (in the hurd at subversions.gnu.org).

	I guessed that, but then let me rephrase my question, how
tough would it be to write an ext2 translator?  I looked at your
procfs translator, looks like this stuff is going to be real hard for
me.  I will see if I can make any progress.

	I couldnt go to ftp://subversions.gnu.org so I got the hurd
sources from the source dir at http.us.debian.org.

    >> (b) Would it be easier to make the driver under oskit-mach??

    Neal> First, filesystems are not drivers, they are translators

	I typed driver when I meant translator, habit I guess. :)

    Neal> (read: userspace programs).  Second, translators are
    Neal> microkernel independent: if the hurd runs on it, it should
    Neal> not matter to the translator.

Thanks for the clarifications.  Will see what I can do.

prabhu