Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question)

> > ps:  XFree86-1 (3.3.6) will soon be gutted. It will only provide support
> >      for hardware not supported by X4, and for libc5 compatibility.  I'm
> >      also in the process of pruning the upstream source tree, to remove the
> >      code that will no longer be used.  The potato package won't be subject
> >      to this, of course.  Will this sabotage the HURD effort?
>
> Yes, completely and entirely. I don't know of anybody working on 4.0
> (although probably there is a pioneer somewhere out there), and I am
> certainly not touching the Debian packages of 4.0 until I got 3.3.6 working,
> which is hard enough, but with guaranteed success (we already know 3.3.6 an
> be made to work, that's our motivation).

I was working on getting 4.0 to work at the beginning of this summer,
and was making fairly good progress before GNOME/Nautilus decided to
consume all my time. 4.x looks to be an *easier* platform to support
than 3.x originally was, though obviously the codebase is so different
that the old work on 3.x is less useful. The GNU target is still there,
though I doubt the XF4 team has tested it and made it work ;-) (and it
certainely didn't work out of the box for me)

-Seth