Re: A new install guide

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Neal H Walfield writes:
>  > Hi All,
>  >
>  > I have developed a new install guide as the easy guide has become
>  > quite out of date.  This one was written in the texinfo format so it is
>
> Hm. I've been working on some updates - do you want to check the
> current version and see how in-date it is? I think it's pretty
> current, but I get very little feedback about the easy guide, which
> makes this hard.
>
>  > also a bit more portable.
>
> I don't know of anyone without an HTML reader...
>
> I've read your instructions, and I think they're probably less helpful
> for the novice user - in writing the easy guide, I tried to exaplain
> everything on a need to know basis - people installing the hurd for
> the first time aren't going to want to bother compiling their own GRUB
> image, I'd have thought.
>
> gnu.org have just been moving their servers around, so I've not
> updated teh gnu.org version. Hopefully they'll be installing OpenSSH
> RSN, which will make my life much easier for updating the gnu.org
> version.
>
> In the mean time, my own personal hurd box has been converted into my
> radiolan router, so I'm looking for a new machine to play with hurd on
> (I presume use of VMWare of hurd development is still deprecated, and
> freemware is unusable).
>
> Do people think the Easy Guide is worthwhile? I get very little but
> complaints about it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
> http://www.pick.ucam.org
>

> --

I found the Easy Guide to be very good and informative. It helped me get the
HURD installed. The only problem I had with it was the link to the GRUB image
was broken, but I just did some digging around on alpha.gnu.org and I figured
out where to get it.

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson