A new install guide

Neal H Walfield writes:
 > Hi All,
 >
 > I have developed a new install guide as the easy guide has become
 > quite out of date.  This one was written in the texinfo format so it is

Hm. I've been working on some updates - do you want to check the
current version and see how in-date it is? I think it's pretty
current, but I get very little feedback about the easy guide, which
makes this hard.

 > also a bit more portable.

I don't know of anyone without an HTML reader...

I've read your instructions, and I think they're probably less helpful
for the novice user - in writing the easy guide, I tried to exaplain
everything on a need to know basis - people installing the hurd for
the first time aren't going to want to bother compiling their own GRUB
image, I'd have thought.

gnu.org have just been moving their servers around, so I've not
updated teh gnu.org version. Hopefully they'll be installing OpenSSH
RSN, which will make my life much easier for updating the gnu.org
version.

In the mean time, my own personal hurd box has been converted into my
radiolan router, so I'm looking for a new machine to play with hurd on
(I presume use of VMWare of hurd development is still deprecated, and
freemware is unusable).

Do people think the Easy Guide is worthwhile? I get very little but
complaints about it.

Regards,

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org