kernel halts during first boot

Hello,

I tried getting the Hurd to work yesterday. I felt like a lucky man,
because I have reasonably standard system, and a nice small (older?)
99Mb harddisk called /dev/hdb (or, if you wish, /dev/hd1) with one
partition on it called /dev/hdb1 (/dev/hd1s1).

So this meant that I could follow the examples without much thinking,
because they also used /dev/hdb1 :-)

The cross-install script worked really smooth. It halted once, with an
error like "can't find server http:://deb:80/foo", so I was afraid that
there was a major error in the script, but upon restarting it, it
finished its job of downloading and installing the packages "in one fell
swoop", as they call it. I even enjoyed some rare late-night high
connection speed, so I thought, what could possibly go wrong?

Then I downloaded a GRUB image from alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/grub [*], and
smacked it on a floppy, and rebooted. GRUB gave an error because the
image happend to be pre-built to boot from this-and-that partition, but
after "pressing any key", I got into the menu, pressed "c" and typed in
the necessary parameters (from the EasyGuide).

The HURD booted, with the usual stampede of kernel information, but it
halted after:
SCSI: 0 hosts
SCSI: detected total.

Browsing through mailing lists, it seems that I am not the first one
with a kernel that halted exactly there, but it also wasn't like the
whole world suffered from it. Retrying had the same results. No real
error messages, except for some "warning: probe failed of <something I
don't have anyway>" earlier on.

System information:
Genuine Intel PII@300
Unknown motherboard (I'm not sure)
Ne2000 card w. io=0x300, which seems to be hard to probe for some??
Soundblaster 64 PCI, a.k.a. to the Linux kernel as Ensonic
ATI Rage Idunnoexactly+ a.k.a. to XFree86 as Mach64
...and that's it.

Extra info:
at /boot, there is also a file called servers.boot.dpkg-new. This has
probably got to do with my 2nd attempt after the first one failed? It
should be harmless, I guess, though...

Hope you can help me out,

Stefan

[*] The EasyGuide still points to a GRUB boot image, that has been
renamed to (something like) "obsolete-use-slash-gnu-slash-grub-instead"
for a year now, looking at date of the file. So it seemed reasonable for
me to get a alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/grub image instead of this one.