Re: Figure [was: Debian GNU/Hurd 0.3 -> 1.0]

Hello,

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 05:05:25PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> After some time, the answer to me has two pieces:
>
> 1) Continue the tradition that made GNU software strong: its
> portability to non-GNU systems of all kinds.
>
> 2) Give the complete GNU system an advantage by writing GNU programs
> so that they exploit the special features only found in GNU.
>
> These plans seem to be contradictory, but I believe all that is
> missing is a software package which makes it easy for programmers to
> satisfy both goals.  With such a package, people would be able to
> develop new programs for non-GNU systems, but those programs would be
> faster/safer/simpler when they were run under GNU.  Conversely, people
> would be able to develop new programs for GNU, and these programs
> would be immediately portable to non-GNU systems.

One dumb question about these goals and GNU Mach : is there a kind of
`POSIMACH', that is : is GNU Mach developed with the idea to allow
straightforward porting of other OS servers (4.3BSD, OSF/1, HPUX,
etc...) in order to allow them to run on top of GNU Mach ?

Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>
Membre de l'APRIL - http://www.april.org/
10, rue du Bel Air, 74000 ANNECY / Tel.-Fax : 33.(0)4.50.67.46.61
/home du SDF (Site Debian Francophone) : http://www.polynum.com/debian/