Re: Gnumach/Hurd on 8 MB Boxes?

> > I have here a pool of i486 PCs with 8 MB of RAM and
> 486's kick ass :)
Hmmm.... really? I'm using here a setup of 24 486's in networked
experiments with Utah's Mach4 and BSD-Lites Server. The nodes
don't have much to do apart from running the kernel, Lites and
a few special tasks for
  1. NORMA port redirection
  2. Management of Load Distribution data
  3. and of course "payload" tasks, which got to get distributed
     across the nodes.

That setup is really stable and the swapspace requirements are
really low (just a few MB on some nodes). Of course, 8 MB RAM
would be for normal usage a bit tight ;-)

The experiment could also have been conducted on newer Pentiums,
but then again, why waste $$$ on so many nodes, especially if you
can get 486s nearly for free?

> > can I get an ext2fs on those 8 MB RAM Boxes without
> > Linux? AFAIK, it's
> > not possible anymore to install Linux on machines
> > with less than 16 MB
> > RAM (also, I don't have space to burn on those i486
> > for extra Linux
> > partitions).
> I do it everyday, i even slack 7.0 will boot on a
> 486sx. lowmem.i is best
> tho.
I tried it and it was okay. Thanks for the hint.

> Anyhow, if this is successfull, please tell me if you
> are able to
> get gnumach/HURD into multiuser mode.
>
> Single user mode worked fine for me, on my 486dx33 8mb
> ram, but it
> could never finished the boot into multiuser.
Just tried it and it worked very well. Of course, I'm using swap
space and the ufs filesystem server on a UFS filesystem, not the
default ext2fs one. [I actually don't know if the ufs server works
with newer FFS filesystems, but I'll try this anyway (it may be
necessary to adapt the UFS code to FFS, probably by importing
FreeBSD's FFS code or something similar...).]

Running the Hurd in multiuser mode on those 8 MB boxes do require
approx. 1 to 4 MB of swap. Single-User and a minimal gnumach kernel
didn't need any swap space at all (!). Of course, YMMV.

> James Morrison
-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Administrator | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany          | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net