Re: Gnumach/Hurd on 8 MB Boxes?

> So it's not necessary to newfs the filesystems or tunefs them etc? Where will
> the translator bits be put on? Will the UFS filesystem be still usable for
> Mach4/Lites after having booted the Hurd and settrans something?

The Hurd's ufs can grok a BSD-format filesystem but will write translators
and other Hurd magic onto it, and then BSD's fsck won't know about that and
will screw it up.  Note that we really haven't tested this much in a long
time, so if the BSD ffs code has changed format details then the Hurd ufs
may not be able to understand them.  Try it and see.

> yeah, but what about the os-bit?... Its not a very recent version of the
> ext2fs tools there. I had tried making a ext2fs filesystem out of Lites
> which worked well, but then, booting the Hurd resulted in a lot of problems,
> which resembled very well the ones I experienced, once I've forgot to set
> that os-bit (-o hurd...). Hmmm....

Yes, it is mandatory on an ext2fs filesystem to use `-o hurd'.  The silver
lining of this cloud is that the standard e2fsck (on Linux or whereever)
will see this and know about the translator blocks and not squash them.

> FreeBSD does know ext2fs via a kernel module, but alas, there is no mke2fs
> for it yet. I didn't try to compiled the mke2fs sources though...

The e2fsprogs package is reasonably portable and easy to compile on a
random system.