Re: Gnumach/Hurd on 8 MB Boxes?

Hello Roland,

thank you for the clarifying words on UFS and the Hurd. That will really
help here! ;-)

> > Does the Hurd run with only 8 MB of RAM?
> Not very well.  Maybe not at all.  You probably need to have some swap to
Swap is not a problem. I'm already using a swap partition with Mach4 and
it's doing very well.

> > One first big problem I'm encountering here, is the requirement of an
> > ext2fs filesystem for the Hurd in its current setup.
> There is no such requirement.  The Hurd supports both ext2fs and ufs, and
> can use either as the boot/root filesystem.  Much more testing has been
> done on ext2fs in the last couple of years, however.
Great, I'll just test the ufs server instead.

> > The boxes have currently a UFS filesystem + BSD disklabel on them and the
> > Mach4 kernel is running a ufs filesystem server on them. The Hurd seems
> > to need an ext2fs (ext2fs.static), at least to put the translator bits
> Just replace ext2fs with ufs and you should be fine.
> Just don't run BSD fsck on those partitions.
So it's not necessary to newfs the filesystems or tunefs them etc? Where will
the translator bits be put on? Will the UFS filesystem be still usable for
Mach4/Lites after having booted the Hurd and settrans something?

> > on. How can I get an ext2fs on those 8 MB RAM Boxes without Linux? AFAIK,
> The last version of Lites I used (several years ago) had ext2fs.
yeah, but what about the os-bit?... Its not a very recent version of the
ext2fs tools there. I had tried making a ext2fs filesystem out of Lites
which worked well, but then, booting the Hurd resulted in a lot of problems,
which resembled very well the ones I experienced, once I've forgot to set
that os-bit (-o hurd...). Hmmm....

> > it's not possible anymore to install Linux on machines with less than 16
> > MB RAM (also, I don't have space to burn on those i486 for extra Linux
> > partitions). Is there any way to get the Hurd on them, even withouht
> > Linux?
> You don't need Linux partitions, you just need to boot Linux (or anything
> that knows ext2fs, which FreeBSD does now too).
FreeBSD does know ext2fs via a kernel module, but alas, there is no mke2fs
for it yet. I didn't try to compiled the mke2fs sources though...

Thank you very much.

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Administrator | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany          | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net