Re:Grub

Thanks to everybody for your help.
I upgraded grub to the latest 0.5.95 and  I also installed dpkg for non
debian systems on Slackware and DL'd the base pkgs from ftp.debian.org.I
cross-installed the .debs and re booted into grub :
root (hd0,1) -fine, found ext2 file system then, kernel
/boot/gnumach.gz  root hd0s1 -s, fine ,I get the line about elf
code.then module /boot/serverboot.gz , then boot,
The boot up sequence starts GNUmach1.2 , then AT386 boot:
,pcibios_init,It ID's my Hard Drive correct and my CD drive
correctly,then it says floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post_1991 82077, then it hangs and goes no further.
I have Hurd installed on a 800meg partition /dev/hda2.My PC is a Athlon
750 on a FIC SD11 mb.Any Ideas? Thanks in advance
Jake