Re: How to get more developers (was: Mailing List traffic and...)

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 05:49:18AM +0000, Philip Charles wrote:
> As a CD vendor I have been lurking in this group for about five months
> now.  I have also added Hurd to my Debian archive and keep it up to date.
> My hope is that at some time I could assist the Hurd community by
> producing a suitable CD.
>
> I haven't got round to a Hurd install up to now as I don't have much in
> the way of porting or development skills.
>
> The best I could do at the moment would be to collect the various bits and
> pieces; grub, documentation etc and burn them onto a CD(s).  I don't know
> how useful this would be.  If people thought this would be useful I would
> be happy to take this on as a project - after the Debian 2.2 release.

Proposal :

You could burn CD containing :
- Debian GNU/Hurd .debs
- Hurd packages from alpha.gnu.org
- sources for Hurd-specific packages
  (burning packages which sources exist for Debian GNU/Linux would be redundant)
- sources for Linux 2.4 (tones of drivers), KGI, ALSA, libGGI, GRUB etc.
- all other sources of interest for OS-developers
- documeniation for Hurd, Mach, OS and hardware programming

This would contain everything Hurd hacker would need and very little overhead.
It probably could fit onto 1 CD.