Let's talk about cross-install

Let's talk about the cross-install script. How is it to be used?
I've been trying to use it like this:

./cross-install --download ftp.debian.org /hurd

My intention is that the script dl's the debs from ftp.debian.org
and does the cross install into /hurd. /hurd is the path to the
Hurd partition mounted under GNU/Linux. But issuing the command like
this ends up with the wget looking like this:

wget --retr-symlinks -cqP /tmp/partial
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/base/adduser_*.deb

This by prepending the wget line in the script with an echo. I suppose
I could keep trying to debug the script, but I would like it better if
someone could just show me how they have made it work. Once I get it
to work I will be glad to update the inline comments and --help to make
it easier for the next Hurd newbie.

Thanks.