Compiling start-stop-daemon

To all,

I'm attempting to compile start-stop-daemon by itself, apart from the rest
of the dpkg package.  As a result, I'm not using the Makefile, but just
calling gcc directly.  I'm using the line:

I get linker errors that ihash and proc_stat_* functions are not found.
I've attempted to:

gcc -Wall -l libihash.so start-stop-daemon.c

but I get the message that libihash.so is not found.  I guess I need to
define $LIB for this.

Does anyone know the libraries I'll need and the compilation options to make
that work?

Kevin Musick
kmusick@teldar.com