Re: Some Hurd and Mach programming questions

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 05:56:58PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl>:
>
> >    8.
> >    Does it make any sense to move most device drivers (scsi/ide)
> >        from Mach to user-space.
> >    I suppose than PCI bus etc. would still need to be in kernel.
> >
> > I suppose that you'll always need some basic support for a disk device
> > in the Mach kernel.  Some other device drivers might be moved out to
>
> Why would PCI bus have to be in the kernel? Why would you need support
> for a disk device in the kernel?

I suppose that device that is needed by other devices to function properly
(as PCI bus) shoud be held by device manager, which should be placed in kernel,
because you can give I/O ports only from kernel mode (this can be done by
user program with some kernel support too, but this is much more complex)