Re: Some Hurd and Mach programming questions

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 05:56:58PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> was heard to say:
> Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl>:
>
> >    8.
> >    Does it make any sense to move most device drivers (scsi/ide)
> >        from Mach to user-space.
> >    I suppose than PCI bus etc. would still need to be in kernel.
> >
> > I suppose that you'll always need some basic support for a disk device
> > in the Mach kernel.  Some other device drivers might be moved out to
>
> Why would PCI bus have to be in the kernel? Why would you need support
> for a disk device in the kernel?

  The first thing that springs to mind is that if you lack a disk device you may
have some difficulty in loading the server which provides it, in paging it in
or out, etc..

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                 | He wasn't good or evil or cruel or extreme in any way but |