Re: Network ping and serial console

Sorry for spamming :-)

> This still remains unsolved and is rather important for me since it's
> the only convenient way for me to work with the computer :-) I don't
> necessarily have to connect /dev/console to a terminal; I just need
> a login shell started on a serial device when the machine has booted.

I should add to this that I've tried adding this line;

com0 "/libexec/getty 38400" mach on secure

to /etc/ttys.  Now, /libexec/runttys seems to barf completely by
segfaulting if there are more than one tty listed in /etc/ttys.  I
haven't had time to investigate that, but I simply removed the console
and used only the above. This seemingly worked, but there was never any
activity on the terminal.  GNUmach detects the serial lines as com0 and
com1 with identical values as the Linux kernel and I've verified the
operation in GNU/Linux with the following line in /etc/inittab (which
works, btw);

T1:12345S:respawn:/sbin/getty -w -h -L ttyS0 38400 vt100