Limits and virtual machines (was: Re: Second shot at PAM)

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 06:49:36PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 11:14:50AM +0400, Stefanus Du Toit wrote:
> > I thought so, in any case, using __GNU__ is definitely not the Right
> > Thing (unless you really can't do it otherwise).
>
> I wouldn't support such a blank statement, as there are several cases where
> __GNU__ is not only fine but the correct thing to do. For one, it is the
> right thing for software that is not feature based but OS based (sometimes
> this happens, but more often it is a mixture of both, and then it gets
> really ugly, see X). Then, it is good to use it for kludges to make
> something work where it's really a bug in the Hurd.

Well, this is what I meant by "unless you really can't do it
otherwise" - sorry for being so ambiguous :)

> And sometimes it might be easier to use __GNU__ to enable Hurd specific
> features, although autoconf checks for the Hurd libraries you use is better
> of course.

*nod*

> I had to make a small retreat btw. In this particular case, I don't think
> checking sysconf should be included in the patch. This is really something
> you can leave to th authors if they want that. But using dynamic allocation
> on all systems is usually fine, so why bother to check for a hard limit if
> the code doesn't need one.

Hm, the way I see it you shouldn't be crossing the sysconf() limits
anyways, even if there's enough memory... but I might have
misunderstood this.

> [Insert usual boilerplate about VMWare not being free software here]

Yes, *sigh*, this really bugs me. Ah well, it doesn't work well
anyways and I've gotten rid of it again (making my system 100% free again).

> I am watching plex86, and I think Yoshinori does, too, although probably
> only as far as GRUB is concerned and not GNU Mach. I would like to try out
> the latest version, which can run linux well, but plex86 does not work on
> linux 2.4, which I have installed, so I have to wait. If someone has linux
> 2.2, they could try out plex86 (www.plex86.com) CVS version and tell us how
> far they come...

well, I have the CVS version built on here. I'll be playing around
with it. So far I've been playing around only a little with grub and
some image files, but due to lack of time haven't really gotten into
it. I'll try and get a kernel booted some time soon...

> Thanks,
> Marcus

Thanks for your insight :)

--