Re: kernel halts during first boot

hi,

	First I'd like to thank you all for the help.  I found this
excellent url

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-hurd-0008/msg00229.html

and took a look.

I propose to follow James Morrison's advice and try cross compile hurd
with plain ne-2000 support.

    >> (1) How does on compile hurd under linux?  I.e. how do I put in
    >> printk's and test stuff under linux?  Feel free to give me
    >> url's on this.  I would love to read about it.

    Marcus> gnumach is the thing you need, and it can be compiled with
    Marcus> linux i386 native compiler, because it is self contained.

	Oh, so I dont need a cross compiler?  I just downloaded 22 MB
of sources.  I can avoid some of the pain of making the cross compiler
if plain gcc from debian 2.2 will work fine.

    >> (2) If I do get to compile my own hurd kernel and find specific
    >> bugs i.e. points where things go haywire I will not have the
    >> experience to fix things.  If this be the case can I post the
    >> results here and expect help??

    Marcus> Of course, at any time!

	Thanks.

    >> (3) It would be nice if I could get my ne2000 card working.
    >> Are there any boot up options to hurd.  Under linux loong back
    >> one needed to do things like
    >>
    >> LILO: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0
    >>
    >> or whatever.  Are there equivalents under hurd??

    Marcus> No. And indeed, I would first try without the network
    Marcus> card. Directly after SCSI detection (where it hangs for
    Marcus> you), gnumach tests for network cards.  Maybe your card
    Marcus> causes it to hang.

	Yes, it is the card.  but will try recompiling hurd and see.

thanks,
prabhu