Re: Makefile-ish init and ideas

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 11:04:09PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 01:36:24PM -0400, Igor Khavkine wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that's true. But we are also talking about Debian GNU/Hurd, which is a
> > distribution. And one of the roles of a distribution and its packages is to
> > set policy.
>
> No. We build packages and integrate them. We don't set policies for the
> upstream maintainers.
>
> You can always raise such issues on debian-devel, or another broader Debian
> list.
>
> > Right now the official policy for the hurd package is to be built
> > using make. This policy could very well change. And whether it should change
> > is a relevant point for discussion.
>
> No. This is completely off-topic, and this was the reason why I dropped the
> CC to the list, which you unfortunately put back.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

At the moment the line between Hurd development and the Debian Hurd
distribution is sort of blurred. To my knowledge the Hurd upstream maintainers
also subscribe to this list. And this list by far generates the most traffic
of the three main Hurd lists.

Upon further reflection my original idea does have drawbacks. I wanted to get
some feedback from other people who could find it useful. However if you this
this is way off-topic, please drop this thread right now.

Igor