Re: rc

# This looks good. Debian has an even finer distinction:
#
#    reload
#           cause the configuration of the service to be reloaded without
#           actually stopping and restarting the service,

This is the same as my definition of 'reload' (which is good - it means
I'm at least on the right wavelength about these things :>)

#    force-reload
#           cause the configuration to be reloaded if the service supports
#           this, otherwise restart the service.

Now this is something I'd not thought of. And I'm not entirely sure why,
either, it's a damn good idea. I'll add it to the list.. :)

# However, we can always indentify your "reload" with Debian's "force-reload"
# and ignore this difference.

No..this could break things (and be potentially confusing to the
user). I'd much rather have the flexibility provided by a finer-grained
approach than arbitarily hide functionality we'd have to implement
internally anyway (as we'd have to know whether the service can gracefully
reload or not in order to implement 'force-reload', the extra effort
required to do the same thing as 'force-reload' but halting if a graceful
reload isn't supported seems minimal to me).

Mo.

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect          inter/open Labs
GnuPG Key: pub  1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22 Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org>