Re: glibc 2.2 and gcc (Was Re: something completely different)

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 10:04:28PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Ben Collins writes:
>  > I can check, but it wont be anytime soon. Mathias, while I have you, can
>  > you tell me if there is anything that needs to be addresed on my part with
>  > a glibc 2.1.92 upload (some time soon, within a few weeks) afa gcc is
>  > concerned? Will it affect the libstdc++ sonames?
>
> I assume it identifies as libc6.2. Then it will build with another
> soname. However I would like to have something like a staging area for
> glibc, binutils and libstdc++, before an upload is done. Currently I
> don't know of any incompatibilities between 2.1 and 2.2, which should
> affect libstdc++ ...

My limited tests on sparc, i386 and powerpc show no incompatibilites. I do
agree with a staging area, and that was my next suggestion. Problem is,
how do we stage for this to keep all C++ applications from breaking? Will
we need a libstdc++2.10-glibc2.1 like with the 2.0->2.1 upgrade had, and
if so, what will I need to do to enable this?

I've Cc'd alpha list to ask about the package name currently involved
(libc6.1) will that need to change to 6.2? What about libc0.2 for hurd?

Ben