Re: hurddocs.org site rollout!

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> Links to archives for help-hurd, bug-hurd, and debian-hurd.
> Links to CVS ChangeLogs for the `hurd' and `libc' modules.
> A few "HOWTO"s for some common hurd things
> A "WHATIS" file explaining translators (and a plea for people to write
> more of these!)

Thank you for putting this together; it's really needed.

Does anyone know of a central location for GNU/HURD software, specifically
translators?

> What's the catch?  You need a decent browser to view the site.  If your
> browser *pretends* to support some of the positioning style sheets, but
> doesn't really, you will have difficulty viewing the site.  I test using
> 2 browsers, generally: lynx and mozilla.  Netscape 4.x also works *if*
> you disable style sheets.  You should also get along fine with brail or
> audio browsers, although I haven't tested them specifically.

I fully support (HTML 4.0)/(XHTML 1.0) Strict -- I do all my Web pages in
it (sadly, my Web page is offline for a bit.). However, they are also
readable without CSS; no divs are used at all, in fact. Only true
structural elements are used by me, such as ul, ol, li, p, h1..h6, etc. I
would suggest using some of those elements instead of div -- it was make it
more readable on lynx, notscape, non-CSS browsers (i.e. CSS disabled), and
so on. Also know that I have made CSS positioning work on Notscape 4.x; see
http://ebooboo.org for a modification of my stylesheet for CSS positioning.

Either way, I'm very glad to hear that other Webgeeks use Strict
HTML/XHTML. It can make Web pages more accessable, which is what we want.

--
Mike Burns <netgeek@downcity.net> [Web site temporarily down]