Re: Some Basic Hurd Questions

On Fri, 26 May 2000 06:26:18 Kevin Musick wrote:
> 3.  This is probably just a Unix question in general, but why are some
> of the man pages stored in /man and some stored in /share/man?  What
> determines which files should go in each place?

Debian is currently doing the transition from /usr to /usr/share for
static, architecture independant data. Expect to see less and less
stuff in /doc, /man and /info and more in /share/*

> 4.  Why does uname return the type of system as i386-AT386 instead of
> just i386 like Linux.  I suspect that this will break some Linux
> compilation scripts.

If it does, it does not worry us. Indeed, it is good if Linux
compilation
scripts break, to make us aware of incompatibilities.

> 5.  I remember that df doesn't work because the Hurd doesn't have access
> to disk geometry, even though Mach will return it if asked.

That's wrong. fdisk doesn't work because oif this. df doesn't work
because
there is no central list of all mounted filesystems (all translators are
filesystems), and thus only "df path" works.