Re: /home/user/var ?

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 10:05:10AM -0400, Cowboy wrote:
> >> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:23:43PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
>  Every time some new marvelous "feature" is added to Linux ( meaning IN
>  the kernel ) it's necessary to up-grade the whole bloody system to make
>  anything work, and re-learn all the configurations.
>
>  [...]
>
>  The draw for me, is the implied promise that with a micro-kernel, these things
>  will need be implimented in drivers, or translators, which will not necessitate
>  forced upgrades just to stand still, as is the case with both windows, and now
>  linux.
>
>  [...]
>
>  Having to re-boot to run a package is much to windows-ish, and the implied
>  promise of doing away with that inconvience, is worth much.

This is exactly why I'm interested in the Hurd. Ideally I'd like all
hardware drivers etc. to be implemented as separate servers and to
have a minimal kernel (something like the L4 kernel). Then I could
hopefully upgrade the drivers for the serial port by doing an

  apt-get install pc-serial-driver-server

Also, development of this server could happen separately to the rest
of the kernel.

--
						Niklas