Re: Install Problem in GNU/Hurd: Stuck with Grub....
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Install Problem in GNU/Hurd: Stuck with Grub....
- From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: 09 May 2000 19:29:31 +0300
- Message-id: <87ln1jn0us.fsf@PC486.Niemitalo.local>
- In-reply-to: Ollosa Albert-QSG1041's message of "Tue, 9 May 2000 16:11:07 +0800"
- References: <4151E652120DD4119C4700508B55EE76122313@SZPH02-T>
Ollosa Albert-QSG1041 <QSG1041@Manila.mot.com> writes:
> 7. # dd if=bin/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1 --- I think I did
> this under /boot/grub...
> 8. # dd if=bin/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
You should use seek=1 instead of count=1 in the second "dd".
> ** 12. At Grub Prompt> root (hd1,12)
> Selected cylinder exceeds max supp. by BIOS. --
> This message appears....
I too get this if I try to access my main partitions with GRUB.
My BIOS is too old, I guess. I have worked around it by making a
separate 64MB /boot partition at the beginning of the disk and
putting gnumach and serverboot there. servers.boot can be in the
main Hurd partition since it's loaded with GNUmach's drivers.
> How do I activate the Window in Grub?
Do you mean the menu? That appears automatically if you have
defined its contents in the config file (menu.lst).
> If I use this command for *.5.94: # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad ......
I guess your floppy doesn't contain a file system.
You can make a GRUB boot floppy with a file system. Just follow
the hard-disk installation instructions but use (fd0) as the
> Content-Type: text/html;