RE: Install Problem in GNU/Hurd: Stuck with Grub....

Title: RE: Install Problem in GNU/Hurd: Stuck with Grub....

> Ollosa Albert-QSG1041 <QSG1041@Manila.mot.com> writes:
>
> >        7. # dd if=bin/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
> ---  I think I did
> > this under /boot/grub...
> >        8. # dd if=bin/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>
> You should use seek=1 instead of count=1 in the second "dd".

Sorry, about this but I just mis-typed it in this email.  I used seek=1 in the second when I installed the latest grub.  But I'll this again, just to make sure....

> > **  12. At Grub Prompt> root (hd1,12)
> >                       Selected cylinder exceeds max supp.
> by BIOS.    --
> > This message appears....
>
> I too get this if I try to access my main partitions with GRUB.
> My BIOS is too old, I guess.  I have worked around it by making a
> separate 64MB /boot partition at the beginning of the disk and
> putting gnumach and serverboot there.  servers.boot can be in the
> main Hurd partition since it's loaded with GNUmach's drivers.

Yes, I think I placed grub under /boot partition and I noticed that I can boot my other GNU/Linux partitions perfectly (like "root (hd1,0)" --> "kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5"  --> "boot") but when I tried to boot under the Hurd partition it can't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you mean "I copy gnumach and serverboot files" in the /boot partition from the hurd partition(which is under /gnu) where I untarred/ungzipped the hurd tarball?  Do you know where it is located in the hurd partition?  Where exactly under /boot?  Is it /boot or /boot/grub?

> > How do I activate the Window in Grub?
>
> Do you mean the menu?  That appears automatically if you have
> defined its contents in the config file (menu.lst).
>
> > If I use this command for *.5.94:    # mount -t ext2
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> >     mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad ......
>
> I guess your floppy doesn't contain a file system.
>
> You can make a GRUB boot floppy with a file system.  Just follow
> the hard-disk installation instructions but use (fd0) as the
> target device.

> Please don't.

I apologize for this.

I'll try doing it again when I get home.

Thanks a lot.

albert