Re: fs questions

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 05:25:48PM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> I remember seeing something for Linux on sunsite.unc.edu. It was very old
> 0.1 version, though. Don't think anything came from it. Seemed to me like
> they had to struggle a lot with inodes, where they did not find a clean
> solution. Guess with hurd's translator concept that would not be a problem
> (Do files have to have inodes in hurd? Or is the path enough to identify
> them within a translator?)

Open files are managed by Mach ports, so you can do everything you want.
A file in the POSIXish nature of the Hurd (glibc + standard Hurd server)
is opened using its path name and the access mode, just as the open()
call describes it.

How you handle open ports or pathnames internally is not restrictd by
anything in the Hurd.