Re: Latest Tarball Problems

Oh, of course.  I forgot to execute native-install.  I completely reinstalled my
hurd partition from the Mar 1 tarball and executed native-install.  That seemed to
fix the problem.  However, I did notice a few things:

1.  Despite installing the GCC package, I couldn't actually compile anything until
I copied over a handful of /lib/*.o files from the old 72Mb tarball.

2.  I can't get networking to work.  Previously, I used the command

settrans /servers/socket/inet /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 --address=10.1.6.1
--netmask=255.255.0.0

to configure the machine's IP address.  This worked great in previous versions,
but in this latest release, nothing ever happens.  I don't see the /hurd/pfinet
after a "ps -ax" like I used to.  Also, I noticed something peculiar about the
/servers/socket directory.  There are four entries:  1, 2, inet, and local.  In
previous versions, doing a "ls -l" on this directory would result in something
like:

2: operation not supported
inet: operation not supported
crwxr-xr-x     ...        1
crwxr-xr-x     ...        local

Note the character to the left of the RWX bits is a "c".  I assume this denotes a
character device.  After installing the latest version, I get three files that
show, and it looks more like this:

2:  operation not supported
crwxr-xr-x     ...        1
lrwxr-xr-x      ...        inet
lrwxr-xr-x      ...        local

This time, the inet and local entries show up as symbolic links.

Any ideas?

Kevin Musick
kmusick@teldar.com