Re: Latest Tarball Problems

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 11:36:09AM -0700, Kevin Musick wrote:
> I've been using the Hurd successfully for some time, but I recently
> installed the latest tarball (March 3 I believe) and am now having
> problems using GCC.  It gives me the following error:
>
> ld: /lib/libc.so.0.2: _del_sysdep_start: invalid version 6 (max 5)
> /lib/libc.so.0.2: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> If I check my GCC version using "gcc -v" I get:
>
> Reading specs from /lib/gcc-lib/i486-gnu/2.7.2.2/specs
> gcc version 2.7.2.2

Well, seems the gcc272 package is broken. Don't worry, you shouldn't use it
anyway.

> I downloaded the gcc_2.91.66-1.2.deb package, but when I attempt to
> install it using "dpkg -i" I get the following:
>
> Preparing to replace gcc 2.91.66-1.2
>    gcc depends on libc0.2 (>= 2.0); however,
>         libc.0.2 is not configured

So why is libc0.2 not configured? Your installation is not 100% ok.
I don't believe native-install (did you run it?) run without errors.

> I get similar messages that cpp (>=2.91.66) is not configured, and
> binutils (>= 2.9.1) is not configured.  It seems by these messages that
> dpkg thinks the version I'm running is already the newer version.  I
> next tried to install libc0.2_2.1.2-10.deb, but then I get:
>
> Preparing to replace libc0.2 2.1.2-10
> Version of dpkg with working epoch support not yet configured.
>    Please use dpkg --configure dpkg

This is definitely wrong. The dpkg in the archive (and tar file) is a bit
oldish but has epoch support. (Lack of epoch support predates even the hurd
:)

> Hmmm.  Am I getting these problems because I use the tarball install
> method?  I've NEVER been able to get the debian package manager to
> install anything.

Did you run native-install? What output did it produce? It will configure
the packages, only THEN the installation is complete.