Re: libgcj

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 01:04:21PM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:

> > This looks a bit hackish.
>
> Yes, just a hack.  I have also put things in the headers like hurdcatch instead
> of catch, (cthreads.h).  Unfortunately, there are c++ reserved words in Hurd
> headers.  This will cause problems when you need ddd, once you have X

No need to change the header, you can work around this. Please look in the
cthreads use of the jade sources (if you don't find it, let me know and I
will quote it, I just don't have the time today). It was something like
redefining catch to something else before including the file.

> > Is it too hard to fix the code so that it can deal
> > with arbitrary long hostnames and path names? It is not difficult to adjust
> > the buffer size on ERANGE, or to use glibc interfaces like
> > get_current_dir_name etc.
> >

> Probably not now that you have told me.  I offer this thing as a prototype,
> could it be useful?  If people are going to use it then it is worth spending some
> time on.  If it turns out to be an experiment, to see the Hurd compiling c++ and
> Java; but it is of no use, then a hack is the best way.

Hell, if you ported some software, make sure it propagates, so someone can
use it when he needs to. Even if currently nobody wants to do c++ and java,
some other day many might want.

> It just seemed an amusing experiment to build this library.  I now have c++,
> Fortran and Java, plus the more normal gcc languages.  I think I will port Ada
> next.

It would be very great if we could build identical packages on Linux and
Hurd wrt to language support.