libgc, glibc 2.1.3, gcc-2.95, holefinder

Hello Marcus,

I have made contact with the Debian maintainer of libgc and he will include
changes for the Hurd.  The information about the maintainer is wrong on the
Debian pages.  I will need to establish which version of source is being used,
but at least it is some progress.

I have had time to do further holefinder test but these are negative, perhaps I
am doing it wrong.  Please let me know.

Here is the background.  The Debian unpack of gcc does not work for me, tar
errors with unknown flags on the extract the bz2 file.  What I have done is build
gcc-2.95 from a download of source from the originators.  I just do the make
bootstap and install it in /usr/local/bin.

I could not resist a Debian build of glib 2.1.3 with the 'new' compiler 2.95.  I
can do a classic Debian build of the whole thing.  It said Hello World at the end
and the logs looked OK so I installed the new deb packages.

ii  inetutils       1.3.2-7        GNU networking utilities
ii  less            340-5          A file pager program, similar to more(1)
ii  libbz2          0.9.5d-2       A high-quality block-sorting file compressor
ii  libc0.2         2.1.3-6        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libc0.2-dbg     2.1.3-6        GNU C Library: Libraries with debugging symb
ii  libc0.2-dev     2.1.3-6        GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Hea
ii  libc0.2-pic     2.1.3-6        GNU C Library: PIC archive library
ii  libc0.2-prof    2.1.3-6        GNU C Library: Profiling Libraries.
ii  libc6           2.0.110
ii  libgc4          4.12-4.13alpha Garbage collecting allocator (plug-in malloc
ii  libgdbmg1       1.7.3-25       GNU dbm database routines (runtime version).

It is time for another question.  Please let me know how to find out what PIC and
profiling are.

I rebuilt the Hurd, to link with these, and installed it.

I then emptied a partition, and in Linux did mke2fs -o hurd.  I copied the dsc,
orig, and diff file of glibc.  Rebooted to Hurd.  Unpacked the source and started
a build.  I let it run for about two hours and then did the find /Debs -type f
-exec ./holefinder {}  /;   This ran for about 5 minutes but produced no output.

Chris