Re: glibc 2.1.3 packages

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 12:45:25PM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that a full glibc build needs 640MB disk space and might crash a few times
> > > on the Hurd.
> > >

> > You forget to mention that it takes over 16 hours!  Only got one crash when I ran
> > out of disk space;  the Hurd is stable here,  have run your holefinder.c also and
> > cannot see that bug.
>
> Hell, hand me over your machine :)
>
> The bug is not imagined, however, Roland was able to reproduce it, and
> Thomas looks for a fix.
>
> What is your exact setup?

Home made,  started life as a 486  25Mhz 2Mb; and some parts are still original

Bought a second hand mother board from a game player who wanted a faster machine;
mother board runs at 66Mhz with K6 clocked at 230 Mhz.  Two 4Gb disks.

But the big thing is.  Two slabs of SDRAM giving me 192Mb memory.  They were going
cheap when memory prices crashed about 18 months ago.

With this set up I can build the Hurd in about 2 hours.  The only thing that will
crash it, is a big build of Java from libgcj.  I may post a note about this on April
1,  is this a joke day in other parts of the world? This would be a good job list,
step 2 would be to download, build and install the latest gcc,  and the final stage,
when it builds the Java, requires a reboot before it starts

Chris