Re: Making Devices on First Install

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 10:44:01AM -0600, Bryan Walton wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
> 	I am working to get the Hurd installed.  So far, everything is
> going fine.  I got the Hurd to boot, using the large tar ball,  and have
> run the native install script.  Now, I need to make some devices.
> 	This may seem obvious to some.  Please bear with me, how do I know
> what devices I need to make?  I am running the Hurd on an IBM Thinkpad
> 390E.  I assume I need to make devices for my CD-Rom, floppy, various
> ports, PCMCIA, all partitions, etc.  Is this correct, Also, how do I know
> what to label these devices?  Any pointers would be appreciated.

All devices are listed in the MAKEDEV script in some way, however, this
might not help you alot. Note that not all hardware you want to create
devices for might be supported.

SCSI and IDE devices are sdX and hdX, where X is a number from 0 to something.
(hd0, hd1, hd2, hd3). This is the whole disk. Partitions on this disk are
either in BSD disklabel format (then you know how they are named), or they
are dos labels, then these dos partitions are called slices (linux uses dos
partition table format as well, mind you). Slices are represanted by sY, where
Y is a number. For example: hd0s1 is the first primary partition on the first
disk etc. (The number is the same  as in linux). The floppy device is called
fd0 for the first floppy (does anybody still have more than one drive?).
Serial ports are com0, com1 etc, but they probably won't work with the Hurd
term translator. PCMCIA is not supported. Network devices are created on the
fly. So, for example:

cd /dev
MAKEDEV fd0
MAKEDEV com0